Go and Play Stable Safeguard Program
SAFEGUARD: “to provide a safeguard for / to make safe – protect”
The Go and Play Stable Safeguard Program has been developed to ensure the overall health and well-being of horses that have been placed either through our Fostering or Adoption programs.
This is a structured program that requires a valued commitment from the safeguard representative to periodically visit the properties where horses are located and report information to the Go & Play Stable Safeguard Coordinator based on the Safeguard Checklist, which details the criteria outlined in our screening process.
We ask that all Safeguard Advisors have current equine knowledge, under the BCS scale, and have experience working with people. If anyone is interested in learning more about horse care through the Safeguard Program, we can set you up with one of our experienced advisors. This is also a good opportunity for students to get community hours, while learning about how to work with people and animals.
All Safeguard Advisors must select one (or more) of the following Ontario zones as their territory for visiting:
1) Essex, Chatham-Kent, Lambton (Windsor, Sarnia, Chatham)
2) Middlesex, Elgin, Oxford, Norfolk (London, St. Thomas)
3) Brant, Haldimand, Hamilton, Niagara, Halton (Hamilton, St. Catherines, Burlington)
4) Huron,Waterloo (Stratford, Kitchener)
5) Bruce, Grey (Owen Sound)
6) Wellington, Dufferin (Guelph, Orangeville)
7) Toronto and immediate GTA (Toronto, York, Peel)
8) Simcoe, Muskoka (Orillia, Collingwood, Barrie)
9) Durham Region (Ajax, Pickering, Oshawa)
10) Kawartha Lakes, Haliburton (Lindsay, Bobcaygeon)
11) Peterborough, Northumberland (Cobourg, Peterborough)
12) Hastings, Lennox, Prince Edward (Belleville, Napanee)
13) Frontenac, Leeds & Grenville (Kingston, Brockville)
14) Renfrew, Lanark (Petawawa)
15) Ottawa, Prescott, Stormont (Ottawa, Cornwall)
16) Nippissing (North Bay)
17) Parry Sound
18) Sudbury, Algoma, Manitoulin
19) Thunder Bay, Cochrane
20) Kenora, Rainy River
Visits will be based on the following time frames
14 days to ensure a horse has settled in. This will also be when we finalize the official Adoption/Fostering Agreement
3 months from date of adoption/foster
6 months from date of adoption/foster
Yearly visits for 3 years, from the date of adoption/foster.
Interested in becoming a Safeguard Advisor?
Fill out the form below if you are interested in joining our Safeguard Community!